Saturday, January 11, 2014

You Mean I Have to Cook?

First of all, HELLO.  I'm Kay.  Wife of a scientist, mother of two ballerinas.  Hate lumping my gals into one category because they are polar opposites.  My youngest, "wild child" we shall dub her,  is in preschool.  She loves the color blue, everything Barbie, and following to pester his sister whenever possible.  My oldest, "free spirit" we shall dub her, is in middle school.  She loves pink, ballet, a messy room apparently, and anything related to art.  I consider myself a creative lady.  Love to sew, embroider, and Modge Podge-ing things.  Used to love high heels but I live more in flip flops now.  I'm anal retentive and love the motto, "Every place has it's thing; everything has it's place."  The family on the other hand doesn't really follow my mantra.  We are working on that this year.

So let's just cut to the chase.  I'm sure you might want to learn how in the world I could be a wife and mom for 10 years and not know how to cook.  I'm starting to think I was some sort of pseudo mom.  I am also hoping that there are others out there like me.  I am VERY good at frozen pizzas and corn dogs, whipping up a mean sandwich, putting fresh fruit in a bowel, and making boxes of brownies.  Boy, that's embarrassing putting that down on paper.


"Free Spirit" has struggled with Crohn's disease for 2 years since she was 8.  She's on some pretty great medicines and she had a bowel resection over the summer.  Since her surgery, we have really had some serious motility issues with her so in an attempt to help her out some (and maybe my hubby and I could use some better dietary intake that doesn't involve soda, McDonald's, and Oreos), we have decided to attempt changing our family over to a Paleo diet.  Sounds so simple, right.  Boy was I mistaken!

What is Paleo?  So, here is the dumbed down version that suits me best:  Paleo means eating things in the true state, like how they were many years ago.  We avoid all grains (which means everything good and easy), eat veggies and fruits, and nuts work too.  Nothing processed.  High fructosey.  I'm sure this is probably the worst Paleo explanation ever.  So we are not strict Paleo because I think my kiddos, especially my 4 year old, need some dairy.  Please don't try and sway me otherwise as this works for us.  Plus a little cheese here and there makes for a happy hubby!  Our goal with the Paleo is to make the food that goes into my 10 year olds belly much easier for her to digest and hopefully limit the severe constipation she battles.  Her intestines do not like to push anything through which means severe nausea, pain, and constipation...on top of having Crohn's.  Do I think this is a cure for her Crohn's?  No, though I have heard otherwise.  Her medicine is not doing a perfect job but it has made her better than when she was first diagnosed and this is something to us.  So here is to the cooking adventure ahead that I am actually learning to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment