Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chicken. It's what's for dinner.

You know, frozen pizzas are so tasty because they are quick and easy.  Or that's one of the reasons I liked them.  So I have been a pinning machine coming up with some quick dinner options.  My most favorite meal right now is this quick Balsamic Marinated Chicken.  It takes me like 5 minutes to whip up the marinate in the early afternoon and then I just let is sit and soak up the juices.


Funny story.  I have NEVER used, let alone bought, basil before.  As I opened up the jar I was like, "Wow!  This stuff smells awesome."  I'm so on the bottom of this cooking totem pole!  But I am having a ball learning all about spices and more.  Like I just figured out that it's "balsamic" not "balsalmic" vinegar.  I've been saying it wrong for...well.  Probably not in my regular convo since I didn't ever cook.  But you get the idea.

Balsamic, Garlic, and Basil Marinated Chicken

Prep Time:  5 minutes + 2-24 hours marinating
Cook Time:  20-30 minutes
Serves:  4 

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup of olive oil (I'm sure there is reasoning behind the fancy kind but don't ask me.)
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic or a nice squirt of my garlic tube (probably a cooking faux pas)
1 tbsp basil
salt & pepper to taste (Are you really supposed to taste the marinate?)
1-2 lb of chicken breast or tenders (I've used both)

DIRECTIONS:
Combine all ingredients in a Zip Lock bag.  Mix well (and do it before you put the chicken in unlike me).  Insert the chicken.  ZIP :)  Refrigerate for 2-24 hours. 
You can either grill or bake in the oven.  Maybe my photo would look better grilled.  I baked mine in a glass dish at 400 for about 20 minutes for tenders and 30 minutes for enormous breasts.  So not being funny about the breasts but I bought 2 pounds and was so surprised that it was just 3 huge breasts.  They took a little longer to cook.  I am no help on the grilling times because this is a baby steps thing.  Just trying to master my oven. 

Warning.  Newbie Alert!  My picture doesn't look much like the original.  When I took this photo, it was my second time making the marinate.  So as I am learning my way through my kitchen and recipes, it helps to actually follow the directions.  I had already put my chicken in the bag BEFORE making the marinate so it got a little chunky.  Not sure why but it still tasted the same and no one died.  I consider this one more of a success than a fail!

Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment