Thursday, January 23, 2014

Celebratory Brownies: My Go To!

Shout out to my hubby for getting an award at work.  Not a "major award" for all you Christmas Story fans.  He wishes!  So it got me thinking that I needed to make him some sort of special treat to celebrate the occasion.  He did not give me enough warning because I was not prepared.  Huge fail for me because I gave him a pack of Gold Star oyster crackers.  In my defense, that was a major treat since that is not on our Paleo approved snacks.  But it was delicious no the less.  The following day I had big plans for something I hoped would pan out, literally.


I cannot tell you how amazing these brownies were and SO delicious.  In the last week, I have made them twice.  They passed the Sunday dinner test over at my in-laws who are not quite on board with all of our dietary changes.  They've been forgoing dessert since we went Paleo but I figured I could show them that it's possible to be Paleo and eat some deliciousness!  I will state now that the icing on top is not paleo.  I splurged and used about 1/3 cup of Betty Crocker icing.  I couldn't resist but feel good that the majority is right on board.  Do you need the icing?  NO WAY.  These brownies are like a nice, rich chocolate cake like brownie.  

Paleo Brownies

Recipe inspired from Cook Eat Paleo
Prep Time:  5 minutes
Cook Time:  20-25 minutes
Yield:  8x8 pan

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 TS baking powder
1/8 TS salt
1/2 cup creamy almond butter
1/2 cup honey (or sub grade b maple syrup)
1/4 cup ghee (or sub other oil/butter)
2 eggs
1 TS vanilla


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 325.

Add all dry ingredients to a food processor and combine (pulse).  Add remaining ingredients and process until they are completely blended.  You do not need to melt your ghee if you keep it at room temperature.  Poor into a greased pan or glass dish (what I used).  Let your hubby lick the bowl and spatula (bonus treat for him).

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your testing utensil (fork, toothpick, etc) comes out clean from the middle of the pan.  Mine was closer to 25 minutes.

NOTE:
Again.  I will tell you how amazing and easy these area.  Do you see a trend for me liking easy yet?  How much better could it get that you do everything in the food processor?  On my first go round, I used honey.  Obviously less calories and sugars in that but on the second go round I used maple syrup.  I need to investigate the difference between grade a & b but these were my favorite as I am not the biggest honey fan if I can taste it.  The first batch I did the icing but not the second batch...no need.  Both are just delicious, unboxed, goodness.  

See.  Looks like brownie batter, huh?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment