Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Breakfast Challenge

Going into our diet change, I knew that breakfast would be a challenge for us.  My hubby is a huge fan of Poptarts.  They are fast and can be eaten in the car.  Did I mention so delicious?  My kiddos love their cereal and milk.  I must confess that I love cereal too,  especially Lucky Charms!  All of those goodies have lots of processes sugars and flours.  I needed to come up with something that made my hubby still want the breakfast he needed and something for the "Free Spirit" to eat quickly before school.  I came up with some protein packed paleo mini muffins.


These are some super delicious and don't last long in my house.  I actually make them in batches of 48 and put them inside a plastic shoe box  in the refrigerator.  I due to make another batch today because I sometimes catch "Free Spirit" using them as an after school snack.
Round one of the Egg & Sausage Mini Muffins

My littlest helper using our "high tech" kitchen tools

Paleo Egg & Sausage Mini Muffins

Prep Time:  15 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Yield:  48 mini muffins

INGREDIENTS:
1 package of sausage
12 large eggs
shredded cheese (optional)
almond milk (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Cook up your sausage.  I do not drain out the tasty grease.  Take your mini muffin pan and a teaspoon.  Spoon sausage into each muffin spot (Is there a technical term for that?)  I fill them about 1/3 full keeping in mind that you need to do another batch.  I put a little sprinkle of shreded cheese on top of the sausage.  This is optional.  Set aside when finished

Crack open your dozen large eggs in a bowl.  Whip or whisk them up.  I am pulling the "kitchen dummy" card as I don't know the difference between the two.  Grab your mini muffin tin.  Here is where it gets technical.  

I use 10 ml of the egg mixture in each muffin.  Why and how do I know 10 ml?  I use a medicine syringe to squirt each muffin.  Having a toddler and a kiddo with Crohn's, these syringes are everywhere in our house and turn out to be a great kitchen cooking tool.  Plus, my helper really loves that part.

Pop them in the oven at 350 for about 8-10 minutes or until the egg is not jiggly anymore.  I told you I needed some kitchen lingo help.  Let them cool for about 3 minutes before removing from the tin.

NOTES:
We are not strick Paleo so I use a splash of almond milk to make tasty eggs and a little cheese too.  It works of use but maybe not for you.  These will still be delish without those options.  Mix it up and try some diced tomatoes and basil.  I like that option the best but no one else in the house does.  I do not grease my muffin tin if I am using the sausage but I do for my tomato and basil option.  If you opt for larger "standard" muffins, I would suggest greasing the tins because we have had the sticky egg muffin epic failure here.  Learned my lesson.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! They look fun and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I've had the hardest time figuring out how to reply to comments. Firefox is being a little problematic in that area. Anywho! These are so quick and easy to make in a nice large quantity. Nice to know the hubby is eating breakfast since I took away his beloved strawberry PopTarts :)

      Delete