Friday, January 24, 2014

Pork: The Cincinnati City Chicken

Keeping dinner fresh (and making the hubby want to come home for dinner) can be a challenge when I can't just purchased a frozen entree or stop by a fast food restaurant.  Don't get me wrong, I am happy that we made the change.  But for someone that lacks in the cooking and kitchen area (though I am getting better), I really have to do my daily research for some dinner idea.  

Totally delicious marinated city chicken.

This dinner just came to me as I was about to drive past the meat market.  I am sure I sounded so stupid as I went to the counter and said, "do you have something they call city chicken?"  You see, I've never made or bought it before; my MIL makes it pretty often during the summer but she lives on the other side of town.  I wasn't sure this was a local meat cut or what.  I'll be honest that just last summer I found out the city chicken is not chicken.  It's pork.  I just just stop talking now because I'm making myself look even more incompetent.  

Again, what I always like is dinner prep that is quick and easy.  I've got no time to prepare a meal that takes hours.  It's not Thanksgiving here.  Funny because I've never made Thanksgiving dinner but I've heard it is an entire day event of cooking.

Marinated City Chicken

Prep Time:  15 minutes to 3 hours 
Cook Time:  25 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
1-2 pound of city chicken 
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 TBSP 

DIRECTIONS:
Mix up the marinade.  Pour it into a ziplock bag and put your city chicken inside.  Mine came on skewers.  Yipee!  I left mine marinade for like 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350.  Place your pork in a glass dish and cook for about 25 minutes.  I flipped mine midway through.  You can always grill these like my MIL does in the summer.  But since it's only -8 with the windchill, I decided I would pass on that adventure.

Love this marinade!

I'm reading that some city chicken from other "cities" is different.  Like Pittsburgh breads theirs and bake it while Cleveland pan fries theirs in flour.  I think my families version is pretty awesome.  Pair it with some veggies and a salad then you are set!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment