Sunday, January 19, 2014

Who Knew Zucchini was Tasty?

Okay, again it is time for me to plead stupidity when it comes to cooking and trying knew things.  I've always liked zucchini bread but it's probably because it has always been hidden in bread.  Off the top of my head, I am not really sure when the last time I even tried it that way.  We "used" to be the side dish family who only ate corn and green beans...until now.


I decided I needed to pull up my boot straps and try something new when it comes to side dishes.  I found the cutest, teeny, tiniest zucchinis at the store the other day that were begging me to try them.   So I obliged.   What I loved the most about this recipe is I sort of just made it up on my own (totally risque for me) and it was so quick.  I'm loving the cooking aspect of changing to Paleo but when it comes to dinner, I don't want to spend like an hour whipping something up.  I like to spend that time of the tasty bake goods.

Funny story, as I am full of them in this cooking process.  I never knew that a zucchini was part squash.  I had to clarify with the produce guy because I never heard them called zucchini squash.  I looked stupid but at least I know now.

Parmesan Zucchini Bites

Prep Time:  5 minutes
Cook Time:  15 minutes
Yield:  4 servings (depending on if your kiddos are brave.  1 of 2 were in my house)

INGREDIENTS:
2 mini zucchinis or 1 regular size
olive oil
2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
2 TBSP Flax Seed Meal
Garlic Powder 
Salt & Pepper 

DIRECTIONS:  
Turn you oven onto 400.  Clean your zucchini and cut them in to little 1/4 inch pieces.  Toss them in some olive oil in a zip lock bag.  

In a separate little bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, flax seed meal, garlic powder to taste, & salt and pepper to taste.  Poor the dry ingredients into the zip lock bag and shake shake shake.

Spread the bites in to a cooking dish.  I just tried to make sure they were not completely overlapping if possible but that would depend on your dish used.  Pop them in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until crisp. 

NOTES:
Loved how quick these were.  I was actually waiting for my oven to heat up because I was done whipping these up so quickly.  And they were TASTY.  Who knew?  Now if only I can get "Wild Child" to try some different things.  She loves her fruit so she can be a little stubborn with new things.  She keeps asking me when we will be done being Paleo.  LOL.

You might also be wondering why I am using Flax Seed.  I've been trying to incorporate some good fats in our food since we can't afford for our crohnie to loose any weight.  Plus it helps with crispiness.  I've been using it for a chicken nugget crust but that's for another day!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment