Thursday, January 30, 2014

This Happened the Other Night!

Amazing and refreshing paleo ice cream

One of the hardest things for us since going "Paleo" are the sweets or later night snacks.  There are a few treats that I crave and one of them being ice cream.  Of course, I have pinned a zillion things pertaining to paleo ice cream but I just never took the plunge, until the other night.  I decided that I needed try a recipe and my mom brought me over an ice cream maker.

After I scanned a million paleo ice cream recipes, they were all different in some sort of  way so I just decided I was going to whip up my own.  I figured the worst I would have to do was make sure it was sweet enough.  Let me shoot of on a tangent on how cool an ice cream maker really is!  I was so amazed that after 20 or so minutes, my mixture looked like ice cream.  So cool!  Now onto my ice cream recipe.

Paleo Blueberry Chip Ice Cream

Prep Time:  5 minutes
Mix Time:  20-30 minutes
Yield:  8 or so yummy little dishes

INGREDIENTS:
1 can of coconut milk
1/4 cup of maple syrup
3/4 cup of blueberries
1 TS of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Get out that handy dandy food processor.  Put in all of your ingredients except for the chocolate chips and pulse until mixed well.  I actually only put in half of my sweetner (of which you can sub for honey or agave) and tasted it before adding just a little more (I used less than 1/4 cup).  

Once mixed, put in your chocolate chips and just pulse a little bit to get them mixed around.  You could pulse more if you want your chips broken up a little bit more than I did.  Then place your mixture into you ice cream maker and follow the directions to get it started.  It should be ready to eat in about 20-30 mintues depending on your machine.  It is that easy!

NOTES:
My kiddos were not keen on the coconut flavor as much as myself and the hubby.  The hubby liking this is something sort of a miracle because I think he is allergic to eating fruit or something.  He found it refreshing and I loved how it was not so heavy like regular dairy ice cream.  Obviously, I can't imagine why you can't sub your  own fruit choices and combos.  I am going to try a blackberry/raspberry chip soon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment