Monday, February 3, 2014

My Shake-N-Bake Mission!

One of the main things my husband misses since going paleo has been breadcrumbs.  Now don't get me wrong, him missing breadcrumbs makes it sound like I've been some fancy cook previously using breadcrumbs in every meal.  Yeah.  That was not happening in this house.  What I think he means is that he misses breading, Shake-n-Bake, crispy chicken crusts...you get the picture.  So I have been doing a lot of experimenting to come up with some ideas.

Almond Meal Shaked-N-Baked Pork Chops



{Attempt One} was delicious but sort of a flop on the aesthetics side.  It just did not brown no matter how hard I tried.  Course, maybe what it looks like doesn't always matter, right?  I just used a half cup of almond meal (blanched almonds) and flavored it up with some garlic powder and salt/pepper.  Dipped the pork chops in an egg then tossed in my mixture.

Parmasan & Flax Seed Chicken bites are delish on salads.

{Attempt Two} was something much different.  I used flax seed for the first time.  I knew it's a good fat but I didn't know that it has such an awesome taste.  And I've got no measurements on this one as I sort of just tossed it all into a zip lock bag.  I used about 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese (I know.  I know.  Not strict paleo but don't shoot me), flax seed (about a tablespoon), Italian spices, and garlic.  Tossed the cubed chicken in olive oil then in the coating mixture.  These are, by far, my oldest daughter's favorite way to eat chicken.  To be honest, they are so quick and sort of my go to recipe for some pseudo nuggets.

Ready to make a quick and easy chicken or pork topping

Parmesan & Flax Seed Pseudo Nuggets ready for the oven.

{Attempt Three}  Though I don't have photos because it is just too darn dark at night for some awesome ones and I don't have time to set up a mini lightroom for dinner (I like mine warm), I did add 1/2 cup of almond meal to the Parmesan & Flax Seed mixture and it was fabulous.  Dipped the chicken tenders in 2 whipped eggs then PRESSED the chicken in the mixture.  It coated it much better than just shaking.  This option is a complete family favorite.  Bonus for me is that all these options are so quick which is important on many days to this crazy mom.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment