Monday, January 20, 2014

Baking Trumps Exhaustion

Today I was blessed with "Wild Child" developing croup.  This is seriously her third bout of it in the last year.  It's getting pretty old.  Since she was feeling pretty under the weather and I am EXHAUSTED because she got up 5+ times last night, we opted not to go out today.  Obvious choice as we don't want anyone else sick.  Guess I can't eat my Bon Bon's today so I figured I better get to using the really ripe bananas on my counter.  These muffins and breads are a really great additional options for "Free Spirit's" lunches.

Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins

First time I followed this recipe, I obviously didn't follow it well.  It clearly stated that I needed really ripe bananas.  I think it might have been on like day 2 of our Paleo Chyrsalis.  I was dying to try some paleo treats so I used my fresh bananas on the counter top.  Bread tasted ok but just not as banana filled flavor as I would have expected.  Newbie mistake!  I now love them bruised and beaten up and mushy when you open them.

Paleo Blueberry Banana Muffins or Bread

Recipe inspired from So Let's Hang Out
Prep Time:  10 minutes
Cook Time:  30 minutes muffins/40 minutes bread
Yield: dozen muffins or 3 mini loaves

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
3 eggs
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
1 cup fresh blueberries 

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat your oven to 350.  If you follow my blog, you know I am all about making it easy which means less dishes if possible.  I love using my food processor if at all possible and it is possible with this.  I'm sure it breaks some sort of "cooking rule or etiquette" but since i always plead "newbie" I'm not too worried.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (I used an old Happy Meal bucket LOL).  Then combine all wet ingredients minus the vinegar and blueberries in the food processor.  Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients chilling in my processor.

I then fold in the apple cider vinegar.  You will it start to fizzle up when it reacts with the baking soda.    Finally I fold in the blueberries.  It says fresh but I've been using some frozen ones I picked in Michigan over the summer.  They are fabulous and a little tart.  I like how they don't make a big mess when I mix them in.  

Pour in to the desired muffin cup or mini bread pan.  I topped them with a little cinnamon.  Bake away for 30-40 minutes until they are golden brown and your knife (or fork) comes out clean.

NOTES:
Why the apple cider vinegar?  As I've read and understood, baking powder is not paleo.  I've also seen what cool things happen when you use the vinegar.  It creates rise on the bread.  I've also made these without the vinegar and they are still tasty.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment